Monday, July 13, 2015

Blueberry Pear Oven Pancake with Lemon Glaze

I’ve been fickle about breakfast for years, particularly about pancakes.  Not that I don’t enjoy a nice leisurely Sunday brunch, but pancakes can be really horrible.  Personally I’d rather go without breakfast then choke down one of those overly thick, flavorless concoctions that you just added water to.  But this oven pancake won’t let you down.  It is somewhere between a clafoutis and a German pancake, and serves up excellently with a side of bacon.
I’ve done it with lots of variations in fruit–pears, apples, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.  When working with apples I generally saute them a bit in butter before adding them to the batter, and often will add a ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon as well.  The only time I was unhappy with my pancake results was when I spread the fruit out in the batter, instead of piling in the center.   Piling it in the center allows the edges to get puffy.
Blueberry Pear Oven Pancake with Lemon Glaze
Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics
Serves 4
3 eggs
¾ cup milk
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 medium pear, sliced
Lemon Glaze
¼ cup butter
Juice of 1 lemon
2-3 tablespoon powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 425. Whisk the eggs, milk, butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium sized bowl.  Add the flour and salt, and whisk just to combine.  Butter a 10 inch round skillet–I use my cast iron pan.  Pour the batter into the pan and arrange the fruit in the center of the batter.  Bake for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the lemon glaze.  Melt the butter in a small saucepan.  Add the lemon juice and powdered sugar and briefly bring to a boil.  Turn down to a simmer until ready to use.  Once the pancake is out of the oven, serve immediately with lemon glaze and additional powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment