Monday, July 13, 2015

Seven Minute Frosting

This is a quick frosting option update for my chocolate cupcake posting.  I’ve made this version twice in two months for birthday celebrations.  Although I wasn’t able to do a full photography spread of the frosting recipe due to terrible winter lighting, I did take this one on my phone so you get the general idea.  I will update the posting sometime in the future when the lighting allows.
This marshmallow like frosting is super light and fluffy, and I made the above batch pink with the addition of a little red food coloring.  The frosting will harden a bit when it sets, so don’t wait long too frost your cupcakes.
Seven Minute Frosting
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes
2 egg whites
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
5 tablespoons cold water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Place egg whites, sugar, water, and cream of tartar in a bowl over rapidly boiling water.  I use my standmixer bowl.  Beat the mixture continuously over the boiling water with a hand mixer on medium high speed for seven minutes (this is a loud, lengthy and somewhat torturous process).  At this point either transfer the bowl to the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or move the bowl to the counter and continue with the hand mixer.  Add the vanilla (and optional food coloring). Continue beating a few more minutes over medium speed until the frosting is thick and spreadable.  It should hold its shape when you scoop a spoonful.   Use immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment