Monday, July 13, 2015

Rhubarb Crisp

This time of year when I was child, I would cut big stalks of rhubarb from the garden, dip them in sugar and chew on the them for hours. Never mind the oxalate, there isn’t harm if you don’t eat too much. But these days, I prefer my rhubarb cooked. The recipe is from Chez Panisse Desserts by Lindsey Shere. Lindsey was the longtime pastry chef at the famous Chez Panisse in Berkeley, and I am humbled every time I open her book. The woman is a dessert genius, and I continually amazed that she decided to share her secrets with the rest of us. I love how exacting she is–often using measurements like ⅞ cup, indicating 1 cup was far too much but ¾ wouldn’t do. If you don’t own it yet, I would highly recommend tracking down a copy.
Many people detest squishy strawberries cooked in with their rhubarb, so this recipe is intended for the rhubarb purist. There is an optional strawberry variation though, for those that prefer. Also, the original recipe the topping has 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon, which I left out, but feel free to go for it if it’s your thing. Almonds, pecans or hazelnuts could be potentially substituted for walnuts, but I think walnuts are my favorite with the rhubarb. Nuts are hands down a better option over the more traditional oatmeal crisp topping.
Rhubarb Crisp
Adapted from Chez Panisse Desserts by Lindsey Shere
Serves 6-8
Filling
6-7 cups (1 ½ to 2 pounds) rhubarb, chopped in ½ inch thick slices
¾ cup sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
Optional ½ pint strawberries, sliced
Topping
½ cup walnuts, chopped
⅞ cup flour
⅓ cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
⅓ cup softened, salted butter
Preheat the oven to 375. Combine the rhubarb, ¾ cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and strawberries, if using, in a medium size bowl. If you opt not to use the strawberries, this makes for a tart filling which I like, but you may want to add another ¼ cup sugar. Toss lightly and let stand until moistened.
Make the topping by combining the ⅞ cup flour (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons), brown sugar, and the 4 teaspoons sugar. Work in the butter until well distributed and crumbly. Add the walnuts and combine.
Pile the filling into a 9 inch gratin dish or pie pan. Cover evenly with the topping mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. The juices will be bubbly and thick around the edges, and the topping golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment